Sunday, January 18, 2009

E-learning

Since in our primary school, I guess the introduction of E-learning has already begun. We used to have special computer sessions that suppose to be a modern and useful learning session, but I think back then all we do is play computer games in the end. I understand why E-learning is such a fashion in our world nowadays, but I still feel the standard does not meet to the public’s expectations. People can argue to me why it is so important and why it is so essential, I still find learning through computer or Internet kind of dull. True, we do gather lots of information from the Internet and so on, but I feel I am acquiring knowledge and bits of information only. My process of learning is never really done through E-learning, rather I am applying my skills to the Internet to get things done. Maybe it is because I have not really known the real meaning of E-learning, or maybe its fullest potential has not been utilized yet. I have not really experienced all types of E-learning as stated in the readings, but I remained unconvinced for now that E-learning is better than traditional learning methods. Well. Maybe I am old-fashioned. 

1 comment:

Alfred Low said...

Dear Yanli,

Thanks for sharing how your experiences with the use of the computer in your earlier school days have shaped perception on the effectiveness of computer technologies in teaching and learning. I shared this with one other student that by and large teachers in our public schools still fall short of the skills of teaching with computer technologies. There are those who are very tech savvy but they have difficulties in translating their ICT knowledge into effective teaching. Constructivist teaching/learning - one in which students construct knowledge for themselves in learning activities (often teacher-designed) using computer technologies given them, has been the way the use of ICT is promoted in the literature and in schools. But because the educational system in Singapore is very grade-based due to policies and other factors, computer use tends to toggle back to drill and practice approaches.